Making a Claim
Once youíve chosen your private medical insurance policy the most important thing you need to know is how to make a claim for the medical treatment you receive.
We have tried to keep things as simple as possible for you in the following 5 steps:
- Always visit your GP first: They will need to refer you to a specialist before any necessary treatment can begin
- Notify your insurer promptly about any likely claim, most insurers have a claims helpline you can call for authorisation for treatment Ė ask for written confirmation before you go for treatment Ė this will ensure you donít receive a bill for uninsured costs
- Check if there is any excess on your policy and when and who you need to pay it to
- Ask the consultant for a cost estimate of any treatment they recommend, to make sure you donít exceed your policy limit
- Visit your specialist to receive your treatment. If you need further treatment, you will need to contact your insurer again to get authorisation